Monday, June 2, 2008

Introduction

Hi everyone,

This summer I'll be in Oviedo, Spain for seven weeks with the immersion IU Honors Program in Foreign Languages, which draws from Indiana high school students going into junior and senior year. The program sends thirty students to each of eight cities across the globe: one in Germany, two in France, one in Mexico, and four in Spain. While in the program, I'll live with a host family, go to classes in culture, literature, conversation, grammar, and phonetics, and speak no English. (Read more about the program here.)

I only get an hour a week on the internet so that I'm not looking at English too often. This means I'm not going to have time to email everyone individually-- and here's where this blog comes in. Every week, I'll post about what's going on with pictures. Everyone should definitely leave comments, especially about news of life (remember I won't have time to respond to all of them, though...) I've set it so that people without blogger accounts can leave comments (just sign your name so I know who you are, because it'll say "anonymous" on the comment.)

ALSO, since Blogger's photo-uploading function is cumbersome and slow, I'll only put a few pictures I take up here and upload all the rest to flickr.com, account kmcdaniel001. Once I have a few pictures, I'll give a direct link to the photo album.

Finally, to test out Blogger's photo-uploading function, I'm going to upload a photo from Science Olympiad Nationals. I'm not quite sure what category of people this is, but it's a good picture, so:

Thanks, everyone! Next post will (probably) be from Spain!!

5 comments:

Erika said...

Is this people who watch House?

L a u r a said...

We're looking forward to checking in to see what you're up to in Spain! Safe travels to you...

I can hardly believe that not long ago you were our (almost) four-year-old flower girl, and now you're going off to Spain all on your own! Great fun...but I think I'm hearing my bones creek now. Yep, they are!

BTW--how did Science Olympiad Nationals go?

Best wishes on an enriching journey. Any knitting projects planned for your trip?

Much love,
Laura

Anonymous said...

yay Spain!!

Have lots and lots of fun, Katherine--but not too much fun . . .

And now that I feel super motherly, best wishes and be safe!!

LOTS OF CONGRATS FOR FINISHING 10th AT NATIONALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--Emily W.

Siarra said...

I'm so excited to read what you post from Spain!

Yay!

What picture is this?

-Siarra

Anonymous said...

Katherine,
Ahorita estoy sentada en tu casa. Estamos aquí de visita hoy y mañana. Empezamos nuestro viaje hace tres semanas ya, y probablemente vamos a volver a casa al fin de esta semana.
Voy a dejar con tus padres una foto de mis dos niños. Ellos son guapísimos, y los dos hablan casi constantemente (como su mamá, ¿no?).
Espero que te estés disfrutando de todo que ofrecen Oviedo y España, sobretodo la comida riquísima. Vamos a hablar mucho de tu viaje cuando regresas.

Un abrazo muy fuerte,
Tu prima Weezy