Hi everyone, I don´t have much time and therefore there may be typos galore and all that. Also, I FORGOT my camera cable, so the pictures will have to wait until next week... AAAARGH. I´m in an internet cafe at last after finding the one on which we originally planned closed... yeah. And if my writing seems strange, it´s because my brain has been thinking in Spanish and in Spanish language patterns for four days...
Firstly, my host family is a woman with three grown daughters who now live in Madrid, and so only her and another (very nice) student are in the house. "Mamá"is AMAZING and lovely and excellent. She´s an incredible cook and she´s a good teacher... she knows the meaning of "speak slower, please", and she explains words that we don´t understand. I´ve learned soooooooo much from her. Plus, we visited her mother mother, and her mother is a master knitter. I described a pattern for felted slippers to her. (To my American mother and Carla: they´re the magic Peter Pan slippers.)
Also, I´ve gotten to know most of the other students in the program, and I have a few good friends amonst them (if I hadn´t forgotten my camera cable, I could upload pictures right about now...) There´s a guy who looks and acts a LOT like Phil Lentz-- on the plane it was really weird because I´d see him out of the corner of my eye and think "Oh! Phil! Oh wait... " Anyway, pictures next week.
Classes just started in earnest, and they´re also really good, although I absolutely fail at grammar. I speak, and I make a mistake. Speak, mistake. Speak, mistake. No fun! In the class of conversation today, we did a round robin that involved Britney Spears talking to a giraffe, which then was carried away by a giant bird. Yeah, there are some crazy (good crazy) people in the program. :)
Spain´s culture actually isn´t as different as I thought it would be. They´re simultaneously more formal and more open-- in the U.S., if you´re in a good mood and you just randomly smile at someone in the street, they´ll smile back. Here, if you randomly smile at someone in the streeet, they look at you like you´re crazy. However, with people you know, there´s a much smaller "bubble" of personal space, and people greet each other with cheek-kisses. That´s pretty much the only thing that´s given me pause-- all the rest is just a little different.
For example, the food. Actually, it´s more like THE FOOD!!! It´s absolutely amazing, and there´s a ton of it. My Spanish mother is like Mrs. Weasley-- I say that I´m full, that I can´t possibly eat any more, and she tries to offer me more or yogurt or cookies or something. It´s the same when we eat at school-- there´s so much excellent food that you just want to eat but can´t! I was also going to talk about the dryer that my Spanish mother has, but I think that´ll have to wait until I have pictures because it´s something that you just have to see.
It´s interesting, because a lot is the same as well. I have to take the train to school every day and in the station, there´s always American music playing... one day there was Thriller, and Evanescence seems to be quite popular. Right now there´s a song by Avril Lavigne playing, and my Spanish mother has a documentary about Michael Jackson. Also, there are Spanish versions of American brands of things in the grocery store-- like Dannon (yogurt) is called "Danone" and there´s a line of products called "Don Limpio" (Mr. Clean)
Oviedo itself is absolutely beautiful-- the streets are an explosion of bright colors on all sides; the buildings are much more cheerful here than in the United States. There are mountains on the outskirts of Oviedo, and it´s all very scenic. The school building is at the top of a massive hill (we have to climb a billion stairs to get to it every day), and there´s an incredible view out of its windows, with the cathedral and the town spread out below and mountains in the background. (Again, CAMERA CALBE-- next week.)
Interesting things about the town include something in the central plaza that everyone calls "La Gorda", which means "The Fat"... it´s a shiny black statue of an enormously fat woman and her baby. Also, the bells that ring the hour don´t "toll"-- they ring out the anthem of Asturias (the province that Oviedo is capital of) every hour. It´s excellent. Also, during a walking tour we took of Oviedo, we passed a store called "Lanas-Corseteria," which means "Yarn-Underwear Store". I kid you not, there were lots of colorful balls of yarn in the window-- alongside a bunch of lingerie.
Next week I will have PICTURES (you have no idea how mad at myself I am right now)... But I want to end on a positive note, so here it is: It´s incredible how much better I´ve gotten at Spanish. After only four days, I understand about twice as much (people speak with a heavy accent here and VERY quickly) and I´m thinking in Spanish. My brain is getting used to putting together the words into correct grammar patterns, (you have to reverse word order a lot in Spanish as compared to English), and verb conjugations are becoming much easier and much quicker. Plus, I´ve learned many many words and I´m quite happy.
¡Adiós hasta la semana que viene!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That sounds like excellent fun, and I'm jealous. Partially inspired by your trip to Spain, I've started watching an hour of Seinfeld every day in Spanish without subtitles. I'm not sure that I'm learning that much, but it's still fun to see how much I know.
I'm also walking to bookstores every day and reading. That has nothing to do with Spanish, but it is an update on my summer. I've already finished one book, which was chick lit, WITHOUT the main character getting hooked up at the end. Amazing, no?
Anyway, have a FANTASTIC time and learn a lot of Spanish and amass some interesting facts, because I love facts. I will try to live without you and will just have to see you a lot when you get back, especially since Sam's jaunting off to Scotland right after you return.
I also have a getting-back present for you all planned. I wasn't even looking for one and then I saw it and immediately bookmarked it so I can order it later for you.
Bye, daaaarling...
By the way, that was Hannah. I'm not quite sure how it managed to keep my original Blogger ID when I signed in with my Google one, but that's technology for you.
Ahh! It seems like you're having so much fun! I'm so excited for you :)
I absolutely can't wait to see your pictures. (You know I wouldn't have forgotten the camera cable if you'd stowed me away in your suitcase . . . just kidding . . . I probably would have since I don't generally use a cable :) )
It's so cool how much your learning and the experiences you're gaining :)
-Siarra
This is Maya.
Katherine-
I'm so glad you're having an awesome time. I met your mother at B and N and she complained that you think your host mother's food is better than hers :-)
I met someone at camp who said that her sister did the Honors program in Germany and that she is now fluent in German, so yay! Have an awesome time!
Wow, that sounds so cool! There's something so invigorating about learning another language.
My mom once told me about a time when she was living in France, and she forgot English to the point where she was thinking in French. The problem here being that she didn't know that much French.
Anyway, so much luck and fun to you on the rest of your trip! Sounds like you're having a fantastic time already!
-Livali
Are you dreaming in Spanish yet? Please don't forget English. We love to read your posts...and you're a darned good writer!
So happy to know that you're having a great time and can conjugate verbs mindlessly now!
Also, I'm sure your mom IS the best cook. All in our house can vouch for that! A flavorful new culture of food is always fun! Just know that if you go on and on about the wonderful food in Spain, you'll end up being the cook once you return home! Ah, I see some Spanish cooking classes in your future! Take good notes!
Post a Comment